AFSAD – Live
February 2011 sees the first official live tour under the AFSAD banner. Jon’s Remnant Kings, including fellow Bellowhead multi-instrumentalists Sam Sweeney and Paul Sartin plus concertina virtuoso Rob Harbron and double bass maestro Rick Foot have been busy honing their lo-fi sound. They’ll incorporate anything from glass harmonicas to wax cylinder players (Eric and Ernie) to bring to life the vision of Songs From The Floodplain. As most will already know, part of that vision is the idea that in a regressed future, folk song and folk custom will come to have greater significance as technological distractions become rarer or die out altogether. So naturally enough the Remnant Kings will be presenting a selection of traditional songs drawn from Jon’s wider repertoire as featured here, but within a framework of post-apocolyptic vision of his album.
As a special bonus, at selected venues on the tour the band will be leading an after-show singing session. A different song will be recorded each night (with participation from the audience) and will be streamed the following day on these very pages. So here’s a chance for you all to join in. Even those of you who aren’t confident enough to sing out solo can surely muster a hearty chorus or two, safe in the knowledge that those with stronger voices will doubtless carry the tune. Besides this really is one of those rare occasions where the taking part is all that matters. With a reasonable prevailing wind we hope to offer them as bonus podcasts too.
I’ll be at the London show for sure and am currently considering my options for one or two others. I’d be very interested to hear from any of you who are going as it might be a chance to meet up, should any of you wish it.
We’ll be posting each of the Live tracks on this page as they’re recorded so check back regularly to stay updated.
- Fri 28th Jan – The Apex, Bury St Edmunds – 01284 758000 (with Fay Hield Trio)
- Thu 10th Feb – London, Kings Place – 020 7 520 1490
Hanging Johnny (Live at Kings Place)
- Fri 11th Feb – Cheltenham Folk Festival – 0844 576 2210
Butter And Cheese And All (Live at Cheltenham Folk Festival)
- Sat 12th Feb – Bridgwater, Arts Centre – 01278 422700
Don’t Go Out Tonight Dear Father (Live at Bridgwater Arts Centre)
- Sun 13th Feb – Shrewsbury, The Hive – 01743 234 970
Young Banker (Live at The Hive)
- Mon 14th Feb – Oxford, O’Reilly Theatre, Keble College – Buy Tickets
Cupid’s Garden (Live at The O’Reilly Theatre)
- Tue 15th Feb – Farnham, Maltings – 01252 745 444
Donkey Riding (Live at Farnham Maltings)
- Wed 16th Feb – Reading, South St Arts Centre – 0118 960 6060
I Sowed The Seeds Of Love (Live at South St. Arts Centre)
- Thu 17th Feb – Pontardawe, Arts Centre – 01792 863 722
Over The Hills And Far Away (Live at Pontardawe Arts Centre)
- Fri 18th Feb – Cockermouth, Kirkgate Arts – 01900 826 448
Bird In The Bush (Live at Kirkgate Arts, Cockermouth)
- Sat 19th Feb – Hereford, The Courtyard – 01432 340 555
Grey Funnel Line (Live at The Courtyard, Hereford)
- Sun 20th Feb – Nottingham, Glee Club – 0871 472 0400